We’ve seen marketers displaced during the recession creating YouTube CVs and auctioning themselves on eBay.
You’re going to be up against a new breed of digital natives when you next interview and you need to be able to meet the challenge head on.
Here are my top nine tips on personal branding and getting hired marketing 2.0 style.
1. Write a blog. It doesn’t have to be about marketing but it helps. Failing that, write about what moves you, what you feel passionate about, as it shows through in your writing. It also demonstrates creativity, opinion and staying power. Too many people start a blog and eventually stop. Believe me, it takes guts to commit to this, and people do respect it.
2. Read and comment on blogs and industry news. Learn from and associate yourself with thought leaders. Exposing yourself to new ideas and the latest thinking prevents you from going stale.
3. Use groups and forums. The point behind 2 & 3 is to learn and join the debate, rather than sitting it out. Smart companies should be looking for provocative, disruptive thinkers to challenge them and ensure they continue to innovate.
4. Tweet. But only when you have something to say and share that matters. Share links, comments, RT and provide your own content. Nobody cares about what you had for lunch.
5. Go social. Set up all your critical social media accounts in one hit. Visit NameChk and then spend a few hours snagging them.
6. Embrace tech. Marketing trends in 2011-12 are mobile, location based marketing, a resurgence in email and social media optimisation to name a few. Any credible marketer needs to be bang on trend, needs to be to talk it and walk it.
7. Prospect. Know where you want to work and follow them. It’s easy with Google Alerts, Linkedin company profiles, Facebook pages and Twitter accounts to keep updated of developments.
8. Network. There is extraordinary opportunity to the focused in using online and offline networks. Don’t forget bodies like The CIM and special interest groups like SpeakEasy that give you presentation training in a safe environment.
9. Speak. Use your networks to create opportunities to speak about your passion. Alongside blogging, it was on the best things you can do to draw people towards you.
Q: What are you doing to make yourself more employable?