I’ve conducted a little research project over the last 24 hours involving the 1500 or so people I follow on Twitter to see what business people use it for.
If I’m honest, I see a lot of rubbish. ‘Celebrities’ are normally the most tiresome. But brands and business accounts can put out their fair share of nonsense viaTwitter too. Presumably in a bid to ingratiate themselves to ‘the community’.
Generally, if you assume there to be seven core uses for Twitter, (outlined in my recent BDB Marketing Blog post), it becomes somewhat easier to align activities with objectives.
So whether you are looking to keep up to date with news, want to share news, want to conduct some research, want to develop prospects from your audience, deliver excellent customer service, drive traffic to other sites and/or drive loyalty, there is something you can tweet about right now.
1. Where you are /going / have been
2. What you are doing / working on
3. What you are reading / have read
4. What you are watching / have watched
5. What you are listening to / have listened to
6. What makes you happy / proud
7. What you are passionate about
8. What makes you cross / sad
9. Some praise / commendation
10. A complaint
11. A review
12. A link to another form of online content
13. A quote
14. A statistic
15. An historical fact
16. A prediction
17. A question
18. A request
19. News – company / corporate/ brand / personal
20. A vacancy
21. An offer
22. A prize giveaway
23. Something offered for sale
24. A Follow Friday recommend
25. Somebody else’s tweet (or other content)
26. Market data or research
27. A personal announcement
28. A business announcement
29. The weather
30. If you are really really stuck, what you are eating!